MIKE'S ACTION GUIDE FOR STUDENTS
DEMOCRACY IS NOT A SPECTATOR SPORT! GET INVOLVED!
Click here for the most recent action item from www.MichaelMoore.com. Or go to www.MichaelMoore.com.
TALK TO YOUR FRIENDS AND SCHOOLMATES ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY
Take the lead. Try to get them interested in a study group or book club or
film discussion group. Organize your group and educate yourselves about
the problems raised in BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE, using on-line
resources. Some suggestions are:
- Why do so many people around the world hate us? How are they affected by U.S. foreign and military policy? How are they affected by the actions of U.S. global corporations?
- If we are so rich and strong as a nation, why is there so much fear in the United States? How is the U.S. media different from those in other nations?
- Is there a link between consumerism and fear?
- Why do we beat up on our poor?
- Why do we have so much gun violence? What make this nation different?
- What role does white racism play in the media, in the culture of fear, in U.S. foreign and military policy?
MOVE YOUR GROUP FROM STUDY GROUP TO ACTION COMMITTEE
Make some changes happen at your local level. Some examples are:
- Organize to write letters to the editor of your local newspaper.
- Organize to monitor and complain publicly about local tv news coverage.
- Organize a teach-in, campus debate or community forum.
- Organize to have your school offer a new course.
- Organize a local corporate watch project.
- Organize to educate the public through vigils, picketing or peace walks.
- Organize a letter writing campaign to your congresspersons.